TSS Memorial Sculpture Scholarships
Tri State Sculptors Education Association, Inc., is pleased to offer a minimum of two awards annually of no less than $500 each to two sculpture students, students whose work demonstrates a focus or concentration in sculpture, (typically given to one undergraduate and one graduate student) who are attending any accredited art school, community college, college or university. The purpose of the TSS Scholarship Program is to support and highlight the achievements of student sculptors as well as encourage membership by emerging sculptors. In addition to the cash award, scholarship recipients also receive a one year free membership in Tri State Sculptors, a waiver of the conference fee for the annual conference, and a travel allowance to facilitate attending the conference to accept the award and give a presentation about their body of work.
Nominations of sculpture students may come from any TSS member in good standing, i.e. any member having a current paid membership. Additionally, students may nominate themselves and do not need to be a member of TSS in order to apply. Nominations should be submitted in the form of a brief letter addressed to the TSS Scholarship Committee Chair. Scholarship submissions must be postmarked by April 30th of each year. Judging will take place in May and notification will be made shortly thereafter. The scholarships will be awarded at the upcoming fall conference.
Jurors will be selected from all TSS members in good standing. A three person panel of jurors will include the TSS Scholarship Committee Chair and two other TSS members selected by the current TSS President. Any TSS member nominating an applicant for a scholarship will not be eligible to serve as Juror for that year. Additionally, jurors affiliated with an applicant's institution must recuse themselves from consideration of that applicant's submission materials, the materials to be considered by the other jurors.
Please note new policy: Any student who submits the required items as specified to the TSS Scholarship Committee Chair at the address indicated below by the April 30th postmark deadline will receive a One Year Free Membership in Tri State Sculptors. – Approved by the Membership October 4, 2009
Scholarship Submissions must include:
- A short Letter of Nomination, typed, from any TSS member in good standing, or from the student applicant themselves if self-nominating, stating the attributes of the nominee
- A CD labeled with the student's name and containing 6 to 12 images of the student's work (jpeg, 300 dpi resolution with an image size of approximately 4" x 5") or 6 to 12 Slides (2" x 2"), each labeled with your name
- An Annotated Image List, typed, numbered to correspond with the order of images as presented on the CD or with Slides. Please include title, media, dimensions, year completed, and brief explanatory comments for each work
- A brief Resume, typed, of the applicant's accomplishments, highlighting both academic and artistic achievements including exhibitions and awards, and indicating college and home addresses, phone numbers, and email address; a good format to follow is the College Art Association's Artist Resume Conventions: http://www.collegeart.org/guidelines/resume.html.
- SASE for return of materials.